Grant David Waldram was born on Thursday, August 18th at 12:26 am. He was 7 lbs 12 oz and 21 inches long. Definitely our biggest baby!
~The Labor Story~
On Tuesday night August 16th I did not sleep very well. I was having a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions and I was pretty uncomfortable. The next morning I felt more pressure as though he had dropped a little. I debated on going to my weight lifting gym class that morning, but I went anyway. Right afterwards I had an appointment with my OB. At that appointment she checked me and I was already dilated to a 3 and 75% effaced! I was pretty surprised. She offered to strip my membranes, but since it was Jeremy's last night of call for his ICU rotation we decided to wait on that just in case it would put me into labor. As the day went on I still was having the same contractions. By dinner time they were getting a little stronger, but I still didn't feel like I was in labor. I was really trying to hold off as long as I could so Jeremy wouldn't have to have someone cover for him on his last night for the rotation. But, around 8:00 I was definitely feeling worse. My back was starting to hurt so I took a bath. That helped, but the contractions didn't go away. I let Jeremy know what was going on and also my friend April since she offered to watch Kamryn and Macy for me while I was in labor. I called my mom and tokd her she should start driving down here since I knew it would definitely be happening within the next day or two. After that the contractions started getting more intense and I was sweating and trembling. I called Jeremy and told him it was "time". Then I got in the shower, washed my hair and started getting ready. I talked to my friend April and she offered to come pick up the girls. I had an overnight bag already packed for them. April got to my house around 10:40 pm and took the girls to her house. It didn't take Jeremy too much longer to come and get me. He drove as fast as he could to the hospital and got a wheelchair for me, parked the car then quickly wheeled me up to the maternity ward. When we got there, it was pretty dark with just some flourescent lanterns. Apparently they had the power turned off for some electrical testing. I actually didn't mind the dimmed lights. I was first put in a triage room where they were monitoring my contractions and asking questions. I was trying to breathe through the contractions, but I was pushing at the end of each one. They eventually checked me and I was dilated to a 9! I was planning on getting an epidural at this point. Then they had me get in the wheelchair again and brought me to a labor and delivery room. I really felt like pushing then. They checked me again and I was at a 10. They offered for me to have the epidural or we could just go for it. I debated on the epidural because I knew it would stall things a little so hopefully my mom could be there. But I just wanted to get this baby out, so I started to push. I think it was 3 pushes, and Grant was out! He has wavy brown hair. Out of all my babies, he has the most hair. My mom missed his birth by about 5 minutes. The doctor that delivered Grant was April Studley. She and Jeremy knew each other pretty well from their intern year, so that was pretty neat. She was a great doctor! The next day my OB, Dr. Heaton, came to visit me. She couldn't believe I went into labor so soon after my appointment with her earlier that day. The internal medicine residents brought a gift and flowers. It was very sweet and thoughtful. Kamryn and Macy were both ecstatic to meet Grant! Kamryn is a very proud big sister and loves to hold him. Macy is very excited too and thinks he is like one of her babies. It has been fun having him in our family!
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Grant's birth
Posted by The Waldrams at 4:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Congrats on number 3. He is so cute!!! Welcome to the land of boys. You will love it!!
SOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!! What a great story!!
You really look amazing! Jeremy looks like such a proud daddy! The girls are so cute holding their baby brother for the first time! I really just love all of the pictures!!! Congrats and Welcome baby Grant!
Hooray for boys-so excited for you all! Love his dark, wavy hair-so cute!
Can't believe you went to your class right before and you do look awesome, that a girl!
The Girls look so excited-great pics!
Wow! He looks so little! It will be like Jeff (and on his birthday) two big sisters telling him how to be a cool brother and guy! What fun! Can't wait to see you guys soon! Pictures are so cute!
The girls look so excited for a baby brother. You don't even look tired..nicely done! I love the picture of Jeremy holding him..such a proud daddy.
Post a Comment